Friday, July 6, 2012

words, social media, & extreme feelings.

I wish the phrase 'sticks and stones can't break my bones & words can never hurt me' was true.  And some days I wish social media could be gone for a day so that there were fewer disguises and more face to face conversations.  I think in 'real' conversations or maybe a better way to say it would be 'in person' conversations' people say things they're willing to own up to & can't sit behind the 'mask' of a computer. 

Other days I love social media... I love seeing friend's old pictures or sharing mine.  I love a venue to share mine own thoughts.  I love to feel 'connected' with other stay at home moms or friends that live out of state so that my only interactions aren't w/ my two little people.  I love google and being able to find just about anything I need in just about a millisecond. 

To go from one extreme to another seems bi-polar but I'm sure the feeling is a bit mutual.  If we all had clear minds when we wrote on a blog, twitter, or facebook status I think things might be different but there's a possibility that I'm naive in my thinking.   I tread lightly in the blog world and really only visit positive and uplifting blogs or families I know or some that are just interesting & thought provoking.  I honestly think it would be sin for me to visit places on the internet that would stir up anger in & of myself because of people that have a sole pursuit to point out the negative.  In a recent sermon that my husband preached he said (while talking about spiritual cynicism) 'anyone can point out the negative...' 

Yesterday I read something on facebook that was a 'slight' dig toward another person I know.  To be truthful I've traveled from mad to 'that's stupid & immature,' to hurt, to threatening myself to cancel my facebook account.  Like I said I don't want to be extreme...I think that can be stupid & immature too.  But as I write I've been thinking about these two scriptures...   

Proverbs 10:19 'when words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.'                                       &
James 4:17 'so whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.' 

The latter verse because if I (first off) fail to not compliment, encourage, help, or bless someone I know & don't that's sin too... God's Word says so. At the end of the day this is my prayer... 'let the words of my mouth & the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock & my redeemer.'  Psalm 19:14

First, I'm looking in the mirror.   

Sincerely imperfect & a work in progress, 
kg

2 comments:

Renee Cook said...

thanks for those scriptures! i TOTALLY know the extreme feelings of a love-hate relationship with social media. thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Kristen said...

haha! glad i'm not the only one!