Monday, April 16, 2012

remember the old dial up internet sound?

and how annoying it was? i can't even think or figure out how to spell it out...that reminds of me of the new theme of the new series we started last night to finish out the school year which is called {drum roll please}

ions... interruptions. we did it as a camp theme a few years ago and it was really powerful. last night we sang praises, then watched a video that talked about silence that also was silent. then we walked to the chapel in silence. and then we sat in silence...

asking God what he wanted to teach us.

Luke did a short talk, really just sharing Psalm 62...it's only 12 verses but it's pretty powerful.

For God alone my soul waits in silence;
from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.

How long will all of you attack a man
to batter him,
like a leaning wall, a tottering fence?
They only plan to thrust him down from his high position.
They take pleasure in falsehood.
They bless with their mouths,
but inwardly they curse. Selah

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
for my hope is from him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my salvation and my glory;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God.

Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us. Selah

Those of low estate are but a breath;
those of high estate are a delusion;
in the balances they go up;
they are together lighter than a breath.
Put no trust in extortion;
set no vain hopes on robbery;
if riches increase, set not your heart on them.

Once God has spoken;
twice have I heard this:
that power belongs to God,
and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love.
For you will render to a man
according to his work

the challenge that Luke left the students and leaders with last night was to meet with God five times this week for five minutes of silence. no ipod, no computer, no phone, no friend sitting right there... just you and God. so often we don't give the option to God because instead of inviting him we crowd him out. What if we invited him to speak? And if it sounds like i am a pro at this ... i'm not, on the contrary i was quite convicted last night. So, i am working on keeping my mouth shut & just listening. listening in general is good and listening to God is even better.

work in progress,
kg:)

No comments: