Wednesday, October 26, 2011

how to act right...

when your spouse acts wrong. by leslie vernick

this is the latest read of mine. it was for my wife of noble character bible study that i've been taking. to say the least this book was convicting. when buying it on amazon, i was talking to Luke about something and he thought i was making a joke by ordering the book. nope, just for my bible study.

there were lots of really good quotes and themes of this book but i'm going to (attempt;)) to keep this short:

first. i can't fool my spouse. i can tell so and so that i am changing, even prove it to a friend but your spouse knows who you are through and through. for the good and bad. so make sure your character with them is what it should be don't let your home be the last place you are working on who you are.

ps. i'm speaking to the choir here:)

second. i am to act right and grow in Christ not so Luke will act right or so he'll affirm my acting right but as an obedience to the Lord.

third. i am to respond and not react. i love this quote from page 62... (i think you'll get the point) 'you might feel better to get it out, but vomit belongs in the toilet, not on your spouse.'

i thought i'd end with this poem about pride (pgs. 52-53), it's by Beth Moore and the reason for it is that i feel like pride robs us from doing good to our spouse (and others) and it is easy to not see it in ourselves... yet it's so so ugly. i think this will speak for itself:

My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny...because
you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment... because you
'deserve better than this.'
I cheat you of knowledge...because you already
know it all.
I cheat you of healing...because you're too full of
me to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness...because you refuse to
admit when you're wrong.
I cheat you of vision...because you'd rather look
in the mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship...because
nobody's going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love...because real romance
demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven...because you
refuse to wash another's feet on earth.
I cheat you of God's glory...because I convince
you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I'm always looking
out for you. Untrue.
I'm looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don't worry...
If you stick with me
You'll never know?

trying to act right, because the other way is ugly, oh and wrong.
kg:)

No comments: