Monday, September 13, 2010

monday night commentary


salt.

as luke started this series, he started with the simple fact that the reason the series is called upside down is because Jesus changes everything; in other words: He does things the opposite that the world says they should be done.

the message was on this one verse: matthew 5.13
it says, "You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet."

back in the time when this was written salt was a precious commodity. so there were three main things they used it for. luke suggested we should take those three things and clue in ourselves as how we can be more 'seasoned' for jesus in our world.

first: for a preservative: keeps things from going bad & this would lead us to HOPE- how the world sees us respond to problems and difficult circumstances in our lives.

second: as a fertilizer: helps crops grow & this leads us to LOVE: helps take & grow what's already there. people who don't know Christ need compassion as a response from us rather than harsh tones, anger, etc... we should be the fragrance of Christ.

third: for flavor: make things taste better which leads us to JOY: our attitude demonstrates a response that is different than the world.
----> the way you are is going to do so much more than what you say.

are we going to be salt that allows the world to see the best side of Jesus or are we going to be salt that should just be trampled?

the biggest challenge i took from this message is that i can't be salt unless I have the Word of God in my mind. I have to start my day with Christ otherwise I'm not going to display hope, love, and joy... matthew 6:33 says to seek FIRST the kingdom of God... I want to be salt, but i'm a weak vessel, so I need his Word in me before I can be anything to others... Seek him & GO.BE.SALT.

called to season my world,
kg:)

No comments: