Monday, April 19, 2010

penpals...

there are some weeks that I go through and think... what on earth could i blog about? and then there are other weeks where so many things happen at once... that are so... (i'm making up a new word) bloggable. yep, they're the perfect things to let my thoughts out and share about my life...

so, here's one of them. long story short i had to clean out my bedroom at my parents house. no, i wasn't planning on moving back in, but having moved into an apartment after getting married... there wasn't exactly a lot of room to store my stuff. now that I have a child, i feel like i have so much less room to store stuff... but back to what i was going to tell you... so, i found myself looking through journals (later post), cards, yearbooks (wow, did i gain the freshman 15!!!) and oh just those weird things you keep like lost teeth??!!! (come on, don't leave me hanging!)

But, i think the best thing that I kept was letters. When I was learning how to write my Grandma Martinie and I became pen pals... I am so thankful for this because looking back I don't remember so much about her. When I was in 2nd grade she passed away quickly from leukemia and although I remember those last days vividly, the things I'd really like to remember don't always come to mind because I was just 'too young.'

My grandma sewed wedding dresses, she made matching dresses for holidays for my other cousins & I, she was an amazing cook, and she LOVED Jesus. So... as I dug through mostly useless notes and belongings I stumbled upon these amazing letters from my Grandma. The best part about them is that her writing voice comes out of them and gives me insight into who she was. One way in which she was a lot like me is that she isn't concise... one letter is typed (yes, on a typewriter) and she went to the bottom... with probably 1/2" margins... the others that are handwritten are front and back of cards in which the writing is scrunched at the end.

i honestly did realize how valuable these would be to me. You never know what treasures you'll find when you go searching through your childhood things....

joyfully,
kgm:)

1 comment:

The Catheys said...

How touching Kristen:) What a treasure to have those letters:)