Friday, October 1, 2010

building our house...

no, we're not 'building a house' literally but everyday we are building a house...

it's kind of like the concept that church is not (or should not be) a building, but rather it's the people in the church who make up the church.

on a daily basis we are building a house on what we put into it... the list is long so i'll just name a few things... the media that comes into our house, the words (building up and tearing down) that we allow to be used inside it, how we use our house (having people here, or just for ourselves)...

this week in Entrusted with a child's Heart the message was on building our homes with a firm foundation: Jesus Christ. The key verse was, "Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain."

I don't know about you but I don't want to 'labor in vain'... with labor on my mind (with it just a few weeks away), I can't emphasize more that I don't want to labor in vain... pain for pointlessness?! yeah right.

but yesterday when I was reading in the Word I came to these verses (Matthew 7:24-27) that totally relate: "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it."

Now, i've seen a house built on the sand before that was taken down by a hurricane... lets just say it wasn't a pretty sight. were they foolish, well, in my best judgment (although at one time they had an amazing ocean view) yes they were. God promises that life won't be easy.. there will be storms and I don't know about you but I don't want my house- my marriage, my relationship with my kids, or my literal house to fall down... so, I'm gonna build it on the rock. It just makes sense.

under construction,
kg:)

No comments: