Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Proverbs 22

Entrusted with a Child's heart has taught me so much thus far and I have through April to learn more about how to train up this child that God has entrusted to us. Exciting, definitely. Challenging, um... yeah!

But, each week we memorize a verse and study the context of it in order to be able to understand it fully. Many people know Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." But, this week I was struck by what surrounds this verse. There are so many applicable topics around this verse that our children need to be taught so that they can have a foundation (or worldview, ya"ll know that I love/hate that word) in Christ and look through that so called 'lens' the rest of their life.

Some of the practical topics I found...
  • God as creator
  • rich vs. poor, wealth in what counts?!
  • humility
  • fear of the Lord
  • lesson of sowing and reaping
  • sharing
  • purity of heart
  • gracious speech
  • need for discipline
  • putting folly far from us
These are just a few...

Lastly, I was reading this passage in different versions and when I read it in the Message, this totally struck me:
Proverbs 22:5- nothing like plain language:
"The perverse travel a dangerous road, potholed & mudslick; if you know what's good for you, stay clear of it."

Praying that I will take God's route in parenting as he has entrusted this child to me...
May his hand me upon your family too!

No comments: