Wednesday, February 26, 2014

a day in the life...

the other day there was a 'friend' on facebook saying that 'today was an i wish i was a stay at home mom day.'  i realize that a post on being a stay at home mom stirs a controversy I don't want to stir, trust me.  Instead with this post I intend for you to laugh at my circumstances today because for me it's all still too soon.  

i woke up today thank God without a headache and at least a hope that we were moving toward wellness since my three year old hadn't puked in the night.  When I walked out my door and saw him in the family room, his face coloring was a bit gray but a smile was on his face.  folks, i feel as though we are making progress.  As I went to his room to make sure I hadn't altogether missed a puking episode in the night (as i did on Saturday night) i indeed found his 'puking bowl' with throw-up inside.  The hope just turned although i was enthusiastically excited that the puke seemed to have magically all entered the bowl rather than his sheets and {yes} the beach towels I had so elegantly laid out around his bed to protect the white carpet.  flu:1 me:.5 {i'm feeling generous}

thank the good Lord my five year old who threw up this weekend seemed well so that he could go to school after all he DID puke this weekend so i really hope we are in the clear:)  I send him off to school while attempting to fix my three year old three options for breakfast of which he chose a slice of apple.  odd but it stayed down, so we'll take one for the win.  My third born went down for his morning nap and stayed down while i managed to clean up the kitchen, take a shower {did i mention it feels amazing}, and throw the three year old's sheets in the wash because i forgot that i hadn't put a diaper on him and he peed in his sheets last night.

Did I mention it's frigid outside, but i have to go out because there was two errands that were MUSTS.  We bundled up and I psyched us all up and we went out.  We made it through the errands until we were just about to enter our subdivision when i looked back to see my 1 year old sleeping.  I found that especially odd seeing as he took a great nap but so be it.  until 2.3 seconds later when he started puking all over himself.  flu:2 me: 0 THANK GOD it was mostly all over him and not the car.  Call me vain, but I was so sad in the moment that my car was going to wreak of vomit.

Thank God for the kindness of my mother in law who brought us lunch on this bitterly cold day and held the baby for a few minutes so that I could actually eat my lunch.

Fast forward to naptime where I was throwing in more puke wash, trying to replace a battery of a chirping smoke alarm and calling my bank company who i spent 41 minutes 46 seconds on the phone with because my card had been compromised and the new card that they sent me refuses to work.  After communicating that to three or four people who were kind but yet couldn't help me, I got off the phone in tears from frustration.

I get that being a stay at home mom sounds so glamourous.... and on some days (like once in a grand while) my days are filled with delights.  However, today the above six paragraphs ARE my reality.  This is what I do know.  This is what we've chosen for me and for that I am grateful (minus the picking up puke part) and God has told each of us to be faithful right where we are.  So today that means to be faithful even though a few or most of the things in my day stink {somewhat literally}.  But it also means that the days that are filled with sunshine and roses that I get to be faithful too.  God gives us grace in our circumstances; for that I'm so thankful.

my day can only go up from here,
kg

No comments: